The OA (Netflix series)


Sometimes a film or a TV show doesn’t jump straight out at ya. Instead, you feel obliged to just plunge in on blind faith because of the creator, director or an actor on the show.

I wasn’t initially taken by the blurb on the Netflix original series: The OA. But I placed my blind faith in Brit Marling whose work I’ve seen in Another Earth and Sound of My Voice. I knew that she does amazing, philosophical, sci-fi stories and she is also a phenomenal actress.

The OA is a myriad of questions and unpredictability. I’ve watched 3 episodes so far (all in one sitting!) and I can say that I’m absolutely hooked. It’s a story of an amazing Russian woman who has survived what you wouldn’t think was humanly possible; she is one troubled individual with suicidal tendencies and, is also some kind of an enlightened being. I don’t know whether I’m thinking the last part because she has been through such extraordinary events. I get superstitious with people that have been through super events.

I relished the aesthetics and cleverness of the characters, cinematography, intro music and most of all, the slick font they use. It is a show that explores human issues at the cutting edge of our existence: interaction of technology, psychology and the media; the random and communal aspects of internet and the contrasts between the past, the internet and the “real”. The story dissolves from one realm to another with endless questions that keep you watching, wanting to find out more.
 

The vibe of the show is a slightly more serious version of Stranger Things so despite how I’ve expressed it above, there is a child-like ease about the show. It doesn’t take itself too seriously. It has some really unique situations that spark out of Brit Marling’s genius. I would highly recommend the show I think it could be regarded as one of the best new shows to come out this year and I hope it continues for many seasons. Brit Marling, she’s done it again!

Popular posts from this blog

The Nag Hammadi Scriptures (book)

I See Satan Fall Like Lightning (book)

The Secret of Light (book)